Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Strategy

So I have a new strategy this week...I decided to take Natalie up on her offer to run with me in case I got discouraged or needed a coach, so she is going to run outside with me Saturday afternoon, which will be the second two-miler and the last half-and-half run; after that I will be trying to run/jog the entire time. Anyway, not only will I be running with someone who can run circles around me and therefore yell at me when I need it, but I will also be running outside so that I can get more used to the kind of running I'll be doing during the 5k.

Once I got that figured out, I decided to call in a few other favors with friends who have volunteered to work out with me. So tomorrow morning my work friend Erin and I will be running near her house for roughly 2 miles, showering at her house and then heading off to our marketing retreat in Bantam, CT, at this giant house we rented for the occasion. The plan is to also do my yoga day Friday with Erin at the house, but we'll see whether I decide to just get it over with Friday morning or get lazy and do it Friday night or Sunday.

Another work friend, Carrie, is addicted to running (*cough*crazyperson*cough*...j/k, I love her), so I also asked her if she could take a day and run with me. Next Thursday at lunch we're going off on a run for roughly 2.5 miles...she mapped out a nice loop that's 3 miles, and I told her to figure out where the 2.5 mile mark was and after that we can walk and cool off.

I'm hoping that having someone else with me either encouraging me or yelling at me (or alternating between the two) will help me push myself. They might also distract me enough to make it seem faster, which I would appreciate. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm starting to get really intimidated about running an entire 5k, but so many people have been incredibly supportive. I was talking to a friend that used to work at TicketNetwork, and she reassured me that what mattered was that I was making progress, getting in shape and building endurance. She said she was proud of me just for trying and sticking with it, and if I wasn't quite ready to run the 5k April 9, I'll just do what I can and register for another one. The time frame doesn't matter as much as the fact that I achieve the goal I have set, and once I get rid of the stress I feel about the time frame, I feel a lot better about the whole thing. What do you guys think? Can I still be proud of myself even if I don't work up to running an entire 5k by April 9?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! Just be proud of the fact that you are moving and getting out to do something good for yourself! As I can attest, it isn't too far from dressing the run to running a half-marathon like a *cough*crazy person*cough*... and I lived to tell, er, blog the tale! Keep it up, girl...you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete