Thursday, March 10, 2011

My First Hurdle(s)

This week I started my real running workouts, and so far I've been successful. Monday I half walked, half jogged a whole mile, alternating tenths of miles. This was a little bit more strenuous than I was supposed to do, but I wanted to see if I could run half and half instead of walking most of the way. On Tuesday Charity came with me to the gym for my conditioning day. So far so good.

Then yesterday we had a weigh-in for Biggest Loser, and I gained weight over the last week. Suddenly instead of feeling proud of myself I was really bummed and ready to give up on everything. So it got me thinking about whether I'm trying to do too many things at once. I've still been kind of working on eating better (and feeling guilty when I don't), but mostly I've been focused on getting in better shape, and I think I should maybe just take it one step at a time. Maybe I should work on getting in the habit of exercising, work up my endurance, and then add in a weight loss goal (which will be easier than it was in the past, since I'll actually be working out). Basically, I'm thinking about dropping out of the Biggest Loser part, including the food logs and weigh-ins, and feeling good about myself for completing all of my workouts and getting healthier, even if I don't lose weight. I think focusing on getting in shape and exercising instead of worrying about how much I weigh would be a nice change for me in general.

Unfortunately, this morning I tweaked something in my shoulder/neck, so I decided not to go to the gym in case I would be jarring something that shouldn't be jarred. If it's not better tomorrow I'll try to get into the chiropractor to either fix it or at least get the okay to start working out again. I'm under somewhat of a time crunch with this 5k schedule, and I really don't want an injury to ruin the whole thing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment