Thursday, February 24, 2011

So...I'm doing a 5k in April

Tuesday started out innocently enough. Got to work, said hello to everyone, decided I should try and set a workout goal for the Biggest Loser competition at my company. So I sparked (our internal work version of IM) the Biggest Loser "coach" at my building, Natalie, to see if she could help me set a reasonable goal for myself.

Somehow, 10 minutes later, I had been talked into training for a 5k and already registered for one in Bloomfield, CT, on April 9.

You have to understand that I have never been able to keep to a workout schedule in my life. I have always been fairly good at watching what I eat when I want to lose weight, but I am TERRIBLE at adding exercise. So just trying to go to the gym a few times a week seemed a little daunting, not to mention running 3.1 miles in a row. I think the longest I've run before is, oh, 300 feet or so.

But I digress. The gist of the story is, I have 6 1/2 weeks to get myself into shape. I don't have any time goals set, I just want to have the endurance to run (not walk) the entire 5k without stopping. Natalie has been kind enough to make me a detailed workout calendar, which I'm much more likely to stick to than just a general "I should go to the gym sometime." If you're curious, here is this week's assignment:

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - Sunday, February 27, 2011

To Do 3 Times This Week:
  • 10 push-ups

  • 25 stomach crunches

  • 20 jumping jacks

  • 10 lunges with each leg

  • Run in place for 30 seconds

  • March in place for 30 seconds

  • Rest for 30 seconds (drink some water)

  • Repeat this circuit twice, for a total of 3 times

I did my first workout Tuesday night. I was a little winded at the end, but it seemed totally doable, and yesterday I wasn't in that much pain when I woke up. "Piece of cake," my foolish brain thought. But as the day went on, my muscles started whining, and so tonight I have my first workout after my first workout, which will be rough.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment